Sunday, February 6, 2011

Don't you mean you're "reading" your book?!

The same way the ipod revolutionized the way people listen to music, Audible.com is revolutionizing the way people read books. Well, sort of.
A commercial of the website came up as I was watching TV the other day and I couldn't help but take a look. The commercial stated that Audible.com had over 80,000 audiobooks online that could be listened to on one's computer, ipod, ipad, and even in one's car. It even made the bold statement that it's collection included almost any book you'd want to listen to. I decided to test the theory and searched for three of my favorite books: the kite runner, outliers, and blink. Surprisingly, the site had them all. Unfortunately for my friend who searched for her favorite books after me, they did not have any of the Harry Potter collection. I guess it's just luck of the draw. This screen shot of the website below shows a small selection of the books you can listen to:

Anyway, after checking out the site for some time, I couldn't help but wonder whether I would consider it new media or not. On one hand, it is just a collection of books, same words, same plot, and just regular book are old news, not new media. On the other hand though, these are audible books. One's that you could listen to on new media devices. I kept going back and forth and couldn't come up with an answer. Right when I would say "ok it's definitely new media, it's even all on a computer and you can choose the one you want to listen to", I would refute myself and say "...but it's not interactive at all, just listening to someone else tell you a story without being able to talk or ask questions". Thus, I am asking you. What do you guys think? Can you help me out here...

No comments:

Post a Comment