Sunday, February 20, 2011

Newseum: a new museum and a news museum

New Media has a variety of different benefits which we have discussed over the course of this semester. The quick and informative aspects of New Media are what I feel to be two extremely important contributions. While I was on the phone with my dad the other day, he asked me if I have ever heard about the Newseum. History was always his favorite subject and after a long awkward pause on my end, he demanded I check out the website. I looked it up online and it says it is "Washington D.C.'s most interactive museum." The overview continues to explain that the Newseum "offers a unique environment that takes museumgoers behind the scenes to experience how and why news is made." This website allows us to see the different exhibits and theaters that will be available to attend at the museum. The website also lets us buy tickets, shop online, read about current events, and it even provides a virtual tour. There is also an interactive element to this website that goes way beyond the endless amount of hyperlinks. There is a "Fun and Games" section that lets us play news trivia which tests our knowledge of events in entertainment, politics, sports, and general news . The questions range from "who gives the state of the union address?" to "who won the 2001 PGA Championship by one stroke?" This fun and entertaining website helps us get a sense of what the Newseum will be like. If you were wondering about the conversation with my dad, he asked me if I would ever get tickets. Considering I go to school in Michigan and live in NY, this question is extremely hypothetical but I probably would have automatically said no before checking out this website. The whole aspect of the Newseum actually seems pretty cool. What I also found interesting was that besides the usual links to twitter and Facebook, there was also link to Groupon.com (The New Media website I blogged about a few weeks ago). This website screams "Informative and Interactive" and therefore it is a source of New Media that I recommend you take a look at!
The Official Opening in Washington D.C.
Here's a Link if you want to check out the "News Mania" game and see if you could get a perfect score for all three levels.

(Image: http://livedesignonline.com/architainment/Barbizon_NewseumOpening.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment