Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quizzes? for fun?!


Sporcle.com is a website full of quizzes. Quizzes in categories such as sports, music, TV shows, movies, geography, and much much more. So...whats the big whoop? Why do people spend so much time on Sporcle? More specifically, why do teens in high school and college who complain about being quizzed weekly go on sporcle for fun?
From personal experience, I can say that the quizzes on sporcle are...kind of fun. Well, depending on what the category is. I like music and watch a lot of TV, so quizzes like "name the artist", "finish the lyrics", "name that Friends character" are fun for me. Fun may actually not be the word, its more entertaining. Simply, it's just something that is not my work which I can spend hours procrastinating on. 
I know my roommate here at Michigan is a Harry Potter fanatic and plays the "Name 200 Harry Potter Characters"quiz multiple times a day. It is a feat for her. One that she will continue to try for until she gets the full 200 in the time limit of 15 minutes. For her, sporcle is something seen as a challenge. Something she wants to beat and can be proud of when she does. 
Ultimately, the website can be used in any which way you want. If you use sporcle, what's your use of it?

photo from: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgg8PTJKG3vL51jaGo7QeAubIBtT-XaWHZnb-JxO3xMGzR7rDopj3OAhaWeypmebJ7AlYAf9F5Dxpl6eEMP_mW98ssc2H0lAMno4VNrMI9Do47c5liCJf0n9TaTMr_z8SI-s-_S3FVoXwo/s1600/sporcle3.png

3 comments:

  1. Soph,
    Honestly, I love Sporcle and I am not really sure what the attraction is to the site other than to take me away from my work. Just like Facebook, Sporcle has its positive and negative sides. It is fun and informative yet it is very addictive and distracting. Do you find that this website is distracting? I could easily spend the time in a lecture trying to name certain movies on Sporcle rather than using my time wisely and taking notes. I could also say that I am not the only one who feels this way. What is it about these websites that are so appealing? How do you think this is affecting the way students work in today's society? In my opinion, I think that people are losing learning opportunities and they are paying less attention in class because of websites such as Sporcle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rian,
    In response to your first question, I do find sporcle distracting. The distraction is mainly caused because I find that it is extremely difficult to just take one quiz. Whenever I go on sporcle and tell myself that I will just take one quiz and I'll be back doing my work less than 10 minutes later, I see that 30 or so minutes later I am 4 quizzes in and want to keep going. What is it about the site that makes you want to just keep going?
    Also, I agree that many students are paying attention in class less because of websites like sporcle. Therefore, they are losing out on parts of a formal education. In response to this, I think teachers must make a more interesting and interactive course to keep the students' attention, so that if students are in classes they enjoy, they will be more inclined to pay attention in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi. thanks for such wonderful review. thanks for sharing them.

    Quizzes for Fun

    ReplyDelete