Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blogging about Blogs

Who knew blogging could be so much fun? Actually before I answer that question, who knew blogging was so popular? Before this class I knew about one or two fashion blogs and that was basically it. I had no idea that there were all sorts of blogs written by all sorts of people. Whether informal and friendly or professional and informative, there are all sorts of academic and non - academic blogs, enough to even create their own atmosphere. This blogosphere, which I was unaware of before entering this class, really informed me about another type of writing that I never would have experienced. In general, I thought blogging was for a specific kind of people. In other words, I did not realize that anyone at anytime could just create a blog and begin writing. It is a really cool concept isn't it? The ability to just be able to write your own opinions about any event you please? Unlike an essay that is planned out step by step with an outline, a rough draft and a finish product, blogging is in the moment which is what I find to be the most entertaining. In my opinion, each blogger's personality is shown through their posts. It creates an environment where the writers can just be themselves. Now going back to my first question about why I think blogging is so much fun...it is easy, quick, entertaining, and informative. It also contains a wide range of interactive elements for instance, most blogs have pictures, hyperlinks, videos etc.


For me, blogging was a great experience. I learned more about current events and I was able to share with the rest of my blog group all the new things that I learned. Also, before this class I never would have attempted to use anything like blogger. I never even really understood how to even begin writing a blog post. As you can tell, my first blog post was all text and no images and it was much harder to just begin writing. As I continued blogging, I learned about all the different ways to add hyperlinks, videos, and images, and it became clear that I have developed into a much better blogger over the course of this semester. Another thing that I enjoyed was being able to have a conversation through blogging. I felt as if I created a mini environment within my blog group that nobody else had access to. On a different note, I started to look at other blogs and I even commented on a few blog posts outside of this class. I want to continue looking at new blog's in the future because I find that reading blog posts are not only informative but they are very entertaining. Overall I feel as if I accomplished a lot from my first post and I am glad I had the chance to experience this new form of writing!

Image: http://www.bloglinkadvertising.com/

1 comment:

  1. Rian,
    I completely agree with a lot of what you're saying. It is weird to think back and realize how little we knew about this platform that is so prevalent in society today. You mentioned that you found the "in the moment" fashion of blogging to be the most entertaining and I'd have to agree! What better way is there to get true raw emotions from a writer than having them write without editing or re-writing? I think this aspect creates a different and new relationship between the writer and the readers. I always think back to an example that we discussed earlier in the year about a blogger writing and publishing immediately following the 9/11 attacks. Readers were able to get a whole new sense of writers by being able to view their initial reactions in a time of crisis.

    ReplyDelete