Sunday, April 10, 2011

Classes online- has technology gone too far?

In the olden days, people used to have to actually go to lectures. If they missed a class, they couldn't just go on the internet and download the handouts or lecture slides or anything of the sort. They had to be there and take notes to get the information. There was no other way. Nowadays, things are different. What's the point of going to lecture when you can sit in the comfort of your bed and re-read everything that was just taught? Is there a point? I mean, it's true, there are some teachers who don't write everything out on their slides, they say things that students cannot find online to give incentive for students to attend their class. But is that really incentive enough to wake up early and go to a class where you can learn 95% of the stuff taught on your own time? Could this be a problem for future generations? Has technology made things so easy and convenient for us that we'll start getting lazy and learn from non-dimentional writing instead of each other?


Personally, I don't think we have to go that far as to say classrooms will become obsolete unless there is more incentive to go, but I do have experience with this phenomenon- no, I am not skipping class- instead, I have been working to get my brokers license- online. People used to have to attend class for weeks before getting the license, but now all it takes is a computer. I don't understand how this is allowed, as people could easily have others take the online class and exam for them. Also, I have been doing the readings on my own, but I can tell you that I have not taken in one thing from them. I read the articles and answer the questions, then forget about everything. Technology makes it that simple. Just search for key words in the readings after reading the questions and you're golden. This is why I think classrooms are necessary to keep our brains going, as it takes more cognitive thinking and work to answer questions after a lecture. Am I wrong? Isn't it silly to be posting lectures online when students should be going to class to access the information?

photo from: http://www.jarche.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/no-lecture.jpg

3 comments:

  1. I have never agreed more with a post on this blog. I know that there are at least 2 classes here that offer online live streaming of the video, Rocket Science and Extreme Weather. The fact that these classes are taught online makes me not even want to go to the actual class at all, like there is no need for me to roll out of bed, get dressed, walk to class, and then sit in an uncomfortable lecture hall instead of laying in the peace and quiet of my bed. I honestly dont know who came up with the idea of online classes, but it is by far the dumbest idea if you want students to come to class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soph,
    I definitely agree with a lot of the points that both you and Brandon have just brought up. Students have virtually no motivation to get out of bed and attend class with the internet harboring all of their educational needs. This has caused me to think about two other important issues: distractions in the classroom, as well as responsibility that each student has to do well. First, in terms of getting students to come to class in general, just because they are physically sitting in the room does not necessarily mean that they are mentally there. Aside from the obvious distraction of various technologies, there are also the old-fashioned type: doodling, day-dreaming, talking to a neighbor. In this sense, I wonder if it would be more beneficial for a student to be able to watch the lecture or get the notes from the lecture on their own time, when they are willing to focus all of their attention on the task. Second, I wonder how much motivation is necessary for a professor to provide. I would assume that most people attending college are mature enough and motivated enough to want to do well regardless of the incentive provided by the professor to attend lectures. This may sound naive, but we are all living on our own, fending for ourselves, not to mention spending a lot of money on our education. I think the motivation or incentive to do well SHOULD be enough for students, whether it is or isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor,
    You make a good point. I actually have even said something similar before- that I hate when teachers are so on top of you because at this point, we are in charge of our lives and we are the ones paying for the education. If we, as students, don't want to come to class, that is our own prerogative. So, in conjunction with your statement, I see your point, and do agree that the motivation to do well should be enough incentive to go to class. Although I do see it, I'm not sure many will, and that is why I still stand by my post in that putting all the slides online can take away incentive for students to go to class, which could possibly be destructive for future generations

    ReplyDelete