Sunday, April 10, 2011

DJ Spooky takes advantage of Twitter

Since, DJ Spooky was so interesting I decided to go to his website to learn more about who he was. What caught my attention right away was the list of social media platforms that were on the left hand side. It says, "Join DJ Spooky on...." and then you have the option to click Facebook, twitter, myspace, youtube, buy DJ Spooky on itunes, and Join the email list. Just to see where one of these links would lead me I clicked on the twitter option and it led me to DJ Spooky's very own twitter account. As I scrolled down I saw tweets about all the places that he would be performing and then I saw some philanthropy tweets as well such as his photo shoot with Love Saves Japan and there was even a picture to follow! He then follows up this tweet by tweeting about Japan's release of radioactive water into the ocean. Showing his concern for Japan and his knowledge about current events, is an extremely important quality because it shows people what kind of person he is. This use of Twitter and this connection to current events adds to the fact that technology is apart of everyday life. Whether I am reading his tweets, or watching his mixes on youtube, everything is interactive and informative which is what these social media platforms are all about. What I find interesting is that his tweets seem to resemble who he is in real life. For instance, he spoke about the film fest and other events during his performance and he tweeted about them as well. He was also a pretty funny and down to earth guy which could be seen through the tone of voice he uses throughout his tweets Do you think that his tweets help to show an understanding of who he really is? In general do you think a person's twitter can define their character? What I also thought was interesting was how DJ Spooky can promote himself through twitter. Tweets like "@ Yo! Jason, I'm finally gearing up for the whole Twitter world. Been mad busy! Check me @" and "I'm blogging with Tribeca FIlm Fest starting in a couple of days. Check it! Tribeca is fun + I live there too - vibes!! help him get his name out there. Do you guys think that tweets such as these can help an upcoming artist become popular? I definitely do but I want to hear your feedback as well.


Image: http://www.fest21.com/files/images/DJ_Spooky.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment