Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Reflection on Blogging


Source

Signing up for a “new media” class, you’d think I would’ve known what I was getting myself into. When I first found out that we would be creating our own blogs, and blogging several times a week, I wondered how on earth I was going to survive this class. I had never read a blog in my life, aside from the occasional peak at Perez Hilton to keep up on all the celebrity gossip (we all have our guilty pleasures!) But since that first day of class, my views on blogging have changed completely. I now realize what a great outlet blogging can be for people who may not have the resources to write in a newspaper or publish a novel. These people, including myself, have something to say as well. Finally, there is a platform dedicated to just that.
When I first started blogging, I was a little hesitant to say the least. When everyone else started blogging they always came up with the wittiest titles for their posts. Needless to say, I’m not very skillful when it comes to the creative witty one-liners. This made me pretty nervous. I wondered how everyone seemed to already know what they were doing, while I was still trying to find my footing. It was hard for me to realize that I could discuss topics in a laid back fashion, while still coming off academic. Throughout the semester I’ve really begun to develop my own voice in the blogosphere. In doing so, I’ve realized that I don’t need to be as witty as my fellow bloggers, I can bring something different to the table. Overall, I think blogging has made me more confident as a writer. I know longer worry about what other people might think when they read my papers.
I have to say that one of my favorite aspects of blogging is not just the fact that you can create your own tone, but all of the other forms of media that you can bring in to support your claims. Only on an online source like this can you provide simple links, videos and pictures for your readers to reference easily and immediately. As I grew as a blogger I began to use more and more outside resources to my advantage and I feel that these different sources helped me to convey my point more efficiently, while still appealing to the reader on a grand scale.
I conclude that blogging is the perfect prescription for a nervous writer or even any writer just trying to get their opinions heard. There is no better platform for this than the blogosphere! 

1 comment:

  1. It really was interesting to see how each author developed their own voice through their posts. I guess that is what blogging is all about, it is a chance to express yourself in anyway you want at any time. I also agree that blogging was intimidating at first. I did not realize that my blog post was there to spark conversation and it did not matter if somebody liked it or not. It was about me conveying a message to my viewers about something I found interesting or important. As for my knowledge about blogging prior to this classroom, you and I were in the same boat. I had no idea about this so called blogosphere and all the possibilities that came with being a part of it. I love how I take about ten minutes out of my day to read a post and instantly I could learn something new about media or a modern - day event. Overall Taylor, I really enjoyed your post and I would have to agree that you definitely were able to create your own voice as the semester progressed... Good work!

    ReplyDelete